thud
Just finished reading the diskworld book under that title. I have to admit I initially totally overlooked it because 'Thud" is not the kind of thing written on a book's cover that catches my eye. Must have seen it laying about in the bookstore several times before I noticed it was a TP book.
Now Firstly one of the things I feel very strongly about when it comes to Mr Pratchett's writing is that although quite funny it sometimes strikes me as a bit.. fake. While reading some of his books I get the feeling that here is a man trying very hard to be funny and clever on every single line. Some of the wordplay gets a tad obscure or complex. And it takes a second read followed by a pause to think
before getting the joke or reference. This might in no small degree be because English is not my primary language.
Whatever the reason might be for me the ideal form to enjoy these books is in spoken form. The humour works better for me if heard not read. Stephen Briggs has done a wonderful job on the unabridged versions. Maybe it has to do with being a bit of a black adder fan but I'm also partial to the ones done by Tony Robinson. The biggest downside is that he usually got asked to do abridged versions and those don't work for me. Bits of a story being left out annoy me. There is nothing worse than sitting down for a good book to find there are pages missing after having read the first 4 chapters.
Anyway, Thud is a good read. Most of the jokes and humour in this last one are pretty straight forward and the number of obscure references (at least the ones I could detect.) is limited. TP decided to give Mr Vimes (I've read the whole series, I've earned it.) an extra personal touch. But done in the typical way that suits the man.
he has to be somewhere every day at 6 to do something very important. But instead of careful planning and heading there early he always ends up doing a mad dash barely making it. Putting things of till the last possible minute is such a bad habit. ;-)
Labels: books


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home