13 December, 2014

My 10 favourite games from 2014

These are the games I had the most fun with this year:

Tex Murphy Tesla Effect.

It has some flaws, but after years of waiting on a cliffhanger finally getting to progress this story I can overlook them. I hope there will be more FMV games in the future. Next time it would be nice if they put characters back into the explorable game world though. Things now felt a bit deadish.

Thief (214)

Perhaps not the sequel everyone wanted, but I had fun with this game. The stealth was pretty strong even if its hub areas, and constant back tracking let it down. (Especially with knocked out guards waking back up every time.)

Wolfenstein The New Order

I did not expect to like this game at all, but I was pleasantly surprised. The shooting is solid, and the level design offered you enough freedom to keep things interesting. You will have fun with this going in guns blazing, sneaky stabby, or a mix of both.

Kirby Triple Deluxe

I spent a lot of time playing this on 3ds xl. My only slight gripe was with their choice in locking levels behind collected sunstones. In every respect this is a good Kirby game with some new touches.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

A very cute looking, but hard as nails platformer that had me cursing at the the TV. This is one of those games where you might die a lot, but you know it was entirely your own fault.

Book of Unwritten tales 2

I loved the original, and the sequel was more of that goodness. If silly point and click adventure games are your thing play these games.

The Wolf Among Us

I know this started in 2013, but the game/season completed this year. It started strong with some of telltales more classic adventure roots showing. Sadly those went overboard in favour of more action/qtes near the end. Even so the story was interesting enough to hold my attention.

Threes!

This simple little puzzle game has earned a permanent spot on my phone. It is great fun, and super addictive.

Bayonetta 2

A worthy successor to the original. Any worries about this releasing on the Wii U are utterly unfounded. In fact the Nintendo touches are nice, and the touch controls are great for novice action game players. This game is an over the top fun as hell action game that you should go buy right now. While you do so be sure to also pick up the wii u version of the first bayonetta

Mario Kart 8

An stellar new entry in a really fun line of games. The new hover sections are a welcome addition to this series. Even the DLC was good value for money, and felt entirely optional. The online is also pretty damn good.


Honourable mentions:

Legend of Grimrock 2

I really liked 1, but just haven't gotten around to seriously playing this one yet.

Hyrule Warriors

I had fun playing this in coop, but would never play it solo.

Tales of Xillia 2

A very direct welcome sequel to the first.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home