19 December, 2005

We have a winner! (Operation Matriarchy)

Most of the people that know me will agree on the fact I am in most respects a very critical gamer. But Operation Matriarchy is a game that only people with no taste what so ever can enjoy. (And some brain damage wouldn't hurt.) It is so extremely bad it almost deserves cult status. The game is made on a quite good 3D engine. The graphics are in no way bad. However, the story, level design, enemies, ai, weapons, sounds and voice acting are all dreadful. This is a good example of how not to do it.

The enemies come straight out of old science fiction series, complete with jerky movement and lacking intelligence. The sounds you hear remind me of a mix between lost in space and the original star trek. (beep, beep, hiss, beep, ping ping, blib.)

You wake up on your spaceship with a load of aliens being around and you're the only one alive, oh yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn, aliens/alien vs predator etc etc etc anyone?

Your enemy is a race existing only out of females, to be ever so original they had to make the main character male because well what is the point of having a female main char fight females, being able to blend in etc. Can't have that. You start off unarmed and you will have to find some weapon. First thing you will find is a knife which makes well... the attack is a bit like pealing an apple or something. Let’s just say it is in no way impressive or looks very aggressive/effective. Why a silly knife would work on big robots is something I'll leave out of it. One can't help but think it would take quite a lot of banging your little butter knife against their body before it would make as much as a dent, oh welp.

You finally get a pistol type weapon and that sounds like.. I have no idea. It most certainly does not make you feel like shooting a weapon, more like holding a kids toy.

I'm not sure where they came up with the design for the ship but there s no way I'd fly on that thing. There is no logic to the design at all. I got extremely bored with running around and shooting the silly bouncing enemies.

On a whole I haven’t seen anything this sad since ... before 1998 I'm guessing. This feels like one of those Doom/quake clones that were being spewed out by the dozen back then. If you are so extremely bored that you have to find something new to play go look at one of the projects with remakes of the old classics that I will be addressing in more detail in a later post. Or do a dig around in your games collection and replay a classic. Go play solitaire for all I care but definitely don't buy this.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home